Saturday 5 April 2014

City of London Epping Forest - The View

This morning after a leisurely breakfast with a friend we decided to visit The View Visitor Centre for Epping Forest located just beyond the mainline railway station in Chingford. I spent a great amount of time there a few months ago with an art and craft group that I used to run and what prompted me to write this post were two differing exhibitions that are on there at the moment.

In the upstairs exhibition space an art exhibition by artist and illustrator Simon Pemberton which was absolutely brilliant.  The friend I visited with is visually impaired and was blown away by this lovely exhibition.  A lot of the works are based around local Epping Forest landmarks as well as some using bike gears with woodland themes attached. My particular favourite was a work called Winter Snow which caught your eye as soon as you entered the room. I particularly like the silhouetted people in most of the works on display.



The exhibition continues until Sunday April 27th and is free to attend during the opening hours of the Visitor Centre 10.00am until 5.00pm daily.

In the outside space there are some new arrivals as well...deer! Or chain saw carved deer made from oak from Epping Forest.  These works by Denius Parsons were commissioned by The City of London and financed by The City Bridge Trust and make a visually stunning impact in their new habitat.







It really is only a 10 minute walk from the station and the rest of Epping Forest lies beyond....which is always well worth a visit.











3 comments:

  1. Wow, I love those chainsaw deer, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are even more impressive close up Josie. They are huge!

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to learn to promote my work in a different fashion. My first Tweet

    ReplyDelete